City watering restrictions have many residents of West Sacramento worried about the health of their trees. Once a week lawn watering rules don’t mean your trees have to suffer! A new brochure, by the West Sacramento Tree Program provides watering tips on how to keep trees alive during the drought.
Drought-Wise Tree Care
- Young trees require 5-10 gallons of water weekly, depending on weather conditions.
- Mature trees require deep watering under the tree’s entire canopy every 2-3 weeks.
- Convert irrigation systems to drip, low-flow heads, or micro spray. Fix any leaks!
- Irrigate your trees separately from lawn and landscaping.
- Capture shower or bathtub warm-up water–use it to water your trees and landscape plants.
- Use mulch to help prevent water evaporation but keep it 4-6 inches away from your tree’s trunk.
For questions, please call the West Sacramento Tree Program at (916) 617-4620.