Interested in becoming a firefigher? Now’s your chance!
The goal for the West Sacramento Fire Department Youth Fire Academy is to recruit and educate a diverse group of local high school youth about the fire service as a career in a safe, supportive team environment.
We are looking for motivated individuals that work well with others, are fitness and team-oriented, show honesty, integrity, and good character, and that are interested in serving the public.
WSFD Youth Fire Academy 2016 Timeline:
- CalOpps application period open 12/4/15 through 12/14/15
- Invite 40 candidates to interview in January (1/5, 1/6 and 1/7)
- 20 candidates will be selected as WSFD Youth Fire Academy Cadets
- Academy will run 2/23/16 through 4/24/16.
- Training will be held from 2/23/16 through 3/12/16, Tuesdays and Thursdays 1600-1900, and Saturdays (time TBD)
- 3/21/16 through 3/25/16: Cadet Tower, 0800-1700 Monday through Friday
- Cadets will work three 3-hour shifts, and one 8-hour weekend shift during the next month, 3/26/16 through 4/24/16.
Training will consist of an introduction to all aspects of the fire service, with part of the focus placed on preparing the cadets for a mock hiring process consisting of the written, CPAT, and oral interview. Cadets will then go through a week-long tower training where firefighting skills will be taught and practiced.
The Academy will culminate in the cadets being assigned to a WSFD apparatus, where they will work shifts to fulfill their high school required volunteer hours while riding along with the fire department on emergency calls as well as experiencing station life.
For more information, email Jen Almaguer at email@example.com
Email Kaitlyn Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org to add yourself to the interest list, and get updates for the CalOpps application.
Related: Firefighter Dreams