City Commission Applications Now Accepted

Applications are now being accepted for service on various City of West Sacramento commissions. Commissions work directly with City staff in developing goals and advising the City Council on many issues. These Mayor-appointed positions are a great way to get involved in your community.


  • Agriculture & Natural Resources Commission: Members of this commission provide recommendations in the areas of tree and habitat conservation, open space, and energy policies.
  • Arts, Culture & Historic Preservation Commission: This commission evaluates and identifies needs in the area of cultural enrichment, the designation and inventory of historic resources, and placement and use of art throughout the City.
  • Board of Appeals: These members review the workings and finances of the Fire Department hazardous materials program as well as provide interpretation pertaining to uniform codes and City ordinances. Membership preference is granted to those with backgrounds in architecture, civil engineering, building trades, or fire protection.
  • Commission on Aging: These individuals examine and evaluate programs and services targeted to the elderly and identify specific areas of need.
  • Disaster Council: The Disaster Council meets at least once each year to review the emergency preparedness status of the City and reports their findings to the City Council.
  • Economic Development Advisory Commission: EDAC members review and comment on economic studies, marketing strategies, business retention and recruitment, and work with the Chamber of Commerce on programs of mutual interest.
  • Housing Advisory Commission: HAC members review and make recommendations regarding housing policies, affordable housing, and identify sources of housing funds.
  • Parks & Community Services Commission: These individuals act in an advisory capacity to the Council in matters affecting the well being, enhancement, and enrichment of the citizens and in matters pertaining to use, maintenance, improvement and development of City parks.
  • Planning Commission: This commission is a decision-making body as designated by state law. Members are heavily involved in planning and zoning law, and land use policy.

Applications are available online, apply here or at City Hall, 1110 West Capitol Ave., 3rd floor. Applications are due by November 30, 2012. More detailed information about each commission is available on the City’s website (boards and commissions) or by contacting Kryss Rankin, City Clerk at (916) 617-4500.

This entry was posted in General Information. | Bookmark the permalink.